Finding Freedom From Fixtures

After recently taking a workshop with Marylee Fairbanks (http://maryleefairbanks.com/) I have decided to begin my own "24 Things" challenge (http://maryleefairbanks.com/24-things/). The rules are simple: each day for 24 days you let go of something that has been cluttering up your house, something that no longer serves you, objects that will be better suited at a yard sale, donation box, or in a trash barrel. During the 24 day release, one should only purchase necessities-- food, medical care, etc. All other material desires should be added to an ongoing list. If you are able to remember the items on your list at the end of the 24 days, then you are free to purchase them, otherwise they are likely to have been unimportant. According to Marylee, "The clutter in our house reflects the clutter in our hearts." Are we clinging to mementos of past relationships? Unwanted gifts that we were too polite to turn away? Clothes that haven't fit for years? Objects that no longer reflect who we are currently in this ever-changing body and mind of ours? Are the things we surround ourselves with keeping us rooted in the past, preventing us from blossoming into the future? In order to invite abundance into our lives, we must eliminate the unnecessary clutter that surrounds us.

Although Marylee recommends four cycles, corresponding to the four seasons, of 24 Things each year, the timing of her most recent workshop and the significance of this period in my own life could not have been better. I will be beginning my solitary 24 Things today, April 29th exactly one year after my (ex) husband told me he was moving out. In exactly 24 days I will turn 28 years old. I cannot think of a better way to mark the end of a year of transformation and to usher in another year of abundance, love, and gratitude for this life that constantly challenges and inspires me.

"One good thing to remember when clearing out is this: If you have an object that makes the past feel more important than the future then you should let it go. The past is gone. Your present is all that need be nourished." ~Marylee Fairbanks

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day 52: Tie and Cuff Links

While my husband was in Iraq, his grandfather passed away suddenly. The funeral was postponed for several months and my husband happened to be home on leave when the services were held at a military cemetery in Massachusetts. He hadn't brought back his Class As so we spent a day driving around to different shops trying to find suit pants that fit his 6'4" 140 pound frame. Men's Warehouse had a seamstress on hand for custom fitting. As he was trying on several different styles the salesman, who might have been working his first day at the store, asked me what the occasion was. I'll bet he was expecting me to say wedding or baptism or something else that would be cause for celebration because his face fell when I said for a funeral. "Oh," he said, "there are a lot of those these days."  He looked so awkward and uncomfortable that I wanted to hug him, but of course I didn't and eventually he just wandered away among the rows of suits.

My husband wanted a solid, Kelly green tie. We looked in half a dozen stores and couldn't find one. He settled on a black tie with red stripes that he pinned down with a gold shamrock tie clip. He wore the black pants, black dress shirt, and black and red-striped tie to the funeral and again to a wedding later that week. The 40 pounds he'd lost in the six months he'd been deployed in Iraq stood out as he cinched the belt around his child-sized waist.

After his two weeks of leave he went back to Iraq. His flight left the airport just as the sun was rising. The corridors were antiseptic and empty. His dusty boots clapped a steady rhythm along the linoleum as we walked through the terminal. The woman behind the counter gave me a boarding pass so that I could follow him to the door of the plane. We embraced behind a large pole, trying to find some privacy in the crowded waiting area. I remember pressing my face into his uniform and wondering if I'd ever see him alive again. I mustered up a smile when his row was called to board and waited until he'd disappeared in the tunnel toward the plane before I allowed tears to slip down my cheeks.

He spent Christmas in Iraq that year. I was shopping for gifts when I found a solid Kelly green tie in Filene's basement. I practically skipped toward the check out counter. As I was leaving the store I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I took it out and checked the caller-ID. It was a long number, more than ten digits in length, it was my husband calling from a satellite phone half-way around the world. My finger was on the answer button a fraction of a second away from pressing firmly down when the phone stopped ringing. I pressed the button again and again even though it was too late. I wandered out into the mall and began walking to circles, slipping quickly into a panic attack.

He left me a voice mail saying that he was leaving on a mission that he didn't know if he'd return alive from. I imagined him dying in a fire-fight without hearing my voice one last time. I started to cry, uncontrollable choking sobs that shook my whole body. I kept walking around in the same small squares of tile in the crowded mall. A man approached me to ask if I was okay. I looked up at him with wild eyes and he flinched, took a step back and left me in distress. I left the mall, got into my car, punched the center console, the dashboard, the steering wheel. I screamed and cried and cursed everything. I got lost on the way home from a nearby restaurant where I bought a gift certificate for my brother and his girlfriend. It took me almost an hour to get home that day when it should have been a fifteen minute trip.

He didn't end up dying on the mission, but it was weeks later before I heard from him. Someone in his unit was killed on Christmas so communication was forbidden on the holiday. I walked around in a daze of worry, never letting my phone leave my side. I perched it on the edge of the bathtub as I showered, kept it tied to my arm with an rubber band at work where I wore skirts without pockets, and held it in my hand on my way home from the train station. I changed my voice mail everyday before getting on the train and losing service, asking him to call back in ten minutes, telling him that I loved him.

The tie, handkerchief, and cuff links pictured above were a gift to my husband from his mother one Christmas before Iraq. When he unwrapped the box and looked inside he half-snorted, half-laughed when he said, "Do they come with a dress shirt?" "No," my mother-in-law said angrily, "don't you have one?" "Nope," he said, pinning the cuff links to his ripped and frayed flannel. She frowned and my brother-in-law who had received the same gift in a different pattern smirked quietly to himself.

My husband left the tie and cuff-links in the box in my bedroom before he left to return to Germany. I kept them, but in the frenzy surrounding his return home on leave from Iraq, I didn't think to pull them out for his grandfather's funeral. I'm sure he wouldn't have worn them anyway, even if I had remembered.  He did wear the green tie at every occasion after that required a suit and tie and each time it reminded me of the day I thought I'd let my last chance to say goodbye slip through my too-slow fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment