Finding Freedom From Fixtures

After recently taking a workshop with Marylee Fairbanks (http://maryleefairbanks.com/) I have decided to begin my own "24 Things" challenge (http://maryleefairbanks.com/24-things/). The rules are simple: each day for 24 days you let go of something that has been cluttering up your house, something that no longer serves you, objects that will be better suited at a yard sale, donation box, or in a trash barrel. During the 24 day release, one should only purchase necessities-- food, medical care, etc. All other material desires should be added to an ongoing list. If you are able to remember the items on your list at the end of the 24 days, then you are free to purchase them, otherwise they are likely to have been unimportant. According to Marylee, "The clutter in our house reflects the clutter in our hearts." Are we clinging to mementos of past relationships? Unwanted gifts that we were too polite to turn away? Clothes that haven't fit for years? Objects that no longer reflect who we are currently in this ever-changing body and mind of ours? Are the things we surround ourselves with keeping us rooted in the past, preventing us from blossoming into the future? In order to invite abundance into our lives, we must eliminate the unnecessary clutter that surrounds us.

Although Marylee recommends four cycles, corresponding to the four seasons, of 24 Things each year, the timing of her most recent workshop and the significance of this period in my own life could not have been better. I will be beginning my solitary 24 Things today, April 29th exactly one year after my (ex) husband told me he was moving out. In exactly 24 days I will turn 28 years old. I cannot think of a better way to mark the end of a year of transformation and to usher in another year of abundance, love, and gratitude for this life that constantly challenges and inspires me.

"One good thing to remember when clearing out is this: If you have an object that makes the past feel more important than the future then you should let it go. The past is gone. Your present is all that need be nourished." ~Marylee Fairbanks

Saturday, August 10, 2013

55: Folgers Coffee Ad

I was in high school English class when the World Trade Center was hit purposefully by planes. I was sitting in the last seat, first row when another teacher poked her head into the room and motioned to Mrs. Guerreiro to step outside. She returned with a look on her face I had never seen before. She stepped slowly behind her wooden podium, said, "Don't worry. You have no reason to be afraid unless I am," and went back to teaching the lesson. Word spreads fast in high schools and by lunch everyone was talking about how the twin towers had been bombed.

I had French class after lunch. The history teacher next door had borrowed a TV from the library and was showing the local news to his class. Our teacher opened the door between the rooms and we all crowded in to watch the same clip of the planes hitting the towers again and again. I thought it was computer generated. I didn't believe it was real. The entire school was dismissed early. We were rushed through the halls and told not to stop at our lockers.

Outside it was beautiful, uncommonly warm for mid-September in New England. I always stopped at the Dunkin Donuts beside the high school and ordered a medium iced coffee with skim milk and two sugars to drink on my walk home.  As I approached the store that day I noticed the blinds were drawn. When I tried the door it was locked. The twenty-four hour Dunkin Donuts that was open on every major holiday had closed.

When less than a month later I watched the green, grainy footage of the US bombing Afghanistan nothing made sense to me. We didn't learn anything in school about the Middle East beyond Mesopotamia. I remember walking by the war memorial park that I would get married in six years later and seeing yellow ribbons tied around the trees. Somehow I knew this war would drag on for years. I started taking photographs with intentions of creating an album so that I'd someday recall what it was like in the beginning. I had no idea then how the war would impact me personally in the future.

Although we didn't learn about modern history or the Middle East in school, we spent months on both world wars. I wondered if the so called War on Terror would ever be so widespread. I wondered if we would fall into another Great Depression or if we'd have to ration food and goods. To prepare, I started stockpiling coffee.

In the summer time my mother would always make herself glasses of instant iced coffee.  She'd scoop the brown Folgers crystals into her glass with a teaspoon, add sugar, and swirl them together as she held the glass under the kitchen sink. She'd add in milk, take a single sip, sigh audibly, then leave the glass on the yellow counter-top to go outside and smoke a cigarette. The bubbles that had formed from the stirring at the sink always looked delicious and I would sip them secretly before my mother returned to the kitchen.  So began my addiction to coffee.

By my junior year in high school I would start each day with four shots of espresso, black with sugar. I had my second coffee on my way home from school, and sometimes drank a third at night after dinner. Looking back now, it's no wonder I could never sleep at night.

Back when newspapers only cost a quarter or two a day, my father used to buy The Boston Globe. On Sundays it came filled with advertisements for local stores. The Folgers ad was in one of the coupon books. The top had a round scratch and sniff circle that smelled like coffee. I kept it in my Calculus book senior year and would take it out to inhale the scent mid-morning every day.

Even though the war in Afghanistan is still going on twelve years later, we haven't had to deal with rationing and for most Americans the war may as well be over. Newspaper articles slowly made their way from the front page further into the paper until they became almost non-existent. My high school students who were just infants on September 11, 2001 don't even know we are at war. In college, when my coffee addiction reached an all time high, I drank the pounds of coffee that I'd been storing in my bedroom. The Folgers coffee ad resurfaced weeks ago when I was going through bins that I'd been storing at my parents' house. I no longer need the scent of coffee to get me through the day and no longer need pointless pieces of paper to remind me of the past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment