Finding Freedom From Fixtures

After recently taking a workshop with Marylee Fairbanks (http://maryleefairbanks.com/) I have decided to begin my own "24 Things" challenge (http://maryleefairbanks.com/24-things/). The rules are simple: each day for 24 days you let go of something that has been cluttering up your house, something that no longer serves you, objects that will be better suited at a yard sale, donation box, or in a trash barrel. During the 24 day release, one should only purchase necessities-- food, medical care, etc. All other material desires should be added to an ongoing list. If you are able to remember the items on your list at the end of the 24 days, then you are free to purchase them, otherwise they are likely to have been unimportant. According to Marylee, "The clutter in our house reflects the clutter in our hearts." Are we clinging to mementos of past relationships? Unwanted gifts that we were too polite to turn away? Clothes that haven't fit for years? Objects that no longer reflect who we are currently in this ever-changing body and mind of ours? Are the things we surround ourselves with keeping us rooted in the past, preventing us from blossoming into the future? In order to invite abundance into our lives, we must eliminate the unnecessary clutter that surrounds us.

Although Marylee recommends four cycles, corresponding to the four seasons, of 24 Things each year, the timing of her most recent workshop and the significance of this period in my own life could not have been better. I will be beginning my solitary 24 Things today, April 29th exactly one year after my (ex) husband told me he was moving out. In exactly 24 days I will turn 28 years old. I cannot think of a better way to mark the end of a year of transformation and to usher in another year of abundance, love, and gratitude for this life that constantly challenges and inspires me.

"One good thing to remember when clearing out is this: If you have an object that makes the past feel more important than the future then you should let it go. The past is gone. Your present is all that need be nourished." ~Marylee Fairbanks

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Day 18: Christmas Ornaments

I never wanted a Christmas tree, ornaments, or decorations for a holiday I only celebrated out of custom.  The first year we had a home together, my mother-in-law bought my husband and I a set of ornaments. Tucked inside three tiers of plastic in a gingerbread house shaped box, were ornaments crafted to look like sugar cookies and candy. My husband made the mistake of pointing out the fact that we didn't have a tree on which to hang them. As soon as we were back in Massachusetts, my mother-in-law showed up at our apartment with a Christmas tree. "This will be the easiest tree you ever put together," she said. "You don't even have to sting the lights." She made us take it from the box and stand it up in our living room. As soon as she left it became the easiest tree we ever took down.

In its long box, the tree took up an entire half of the large white cabinet in our hallway. By December, I'd decided that if the tree was going to take up so much space, we may as well stand it up in the living room for a week or two.

That first Christmas with the tree was during the days before our marriage started its rapid descent. For fun one night, we went to Michael's Arts and Crafts to buy ornament making kits. We sat at the kitchen table and hot glued snowmen sleighs, pom-pom penguins, and jingle bell mice. We each created our own stocking with glitter glue, patches, pins, and stickers.  We bought each other ornaments of cartoon characters and TV shows like the ones pictured above.

Although I grew up in Boston, I've always hated the Red Sox. At first my father instilled his hatred for the team in me as a child, then my own grudge formed after they directly caused the fast food restaurant I'd worked at from 15-19 to close down. After we had the Christmas tree, my mother-in-law continued to buy us ornaments.  One year she bought a Red Sox World Series special edition glass ornament for my husband who loved the team.

The second Christmas that we stood the tree in our living room, my ex-husband came home drunk one night and punched the tree to the ground. I heard the glass shatter from the other room and came to calm him down. After I'd righted the tree, picked up all the ornaments that had fallen off and scattered all over the floor, I discovered that the only ornament that had shattered was the glass Red Sox ball hanging toward the tree top.

A few months after my husband left me, his girlfriend posted pictures of their Christmas tree adorned with home-made ornaments. He'd cut a star into a beer can and placed it on the tree top. I was filled with so much anger-- he'd been with her before he'd left me-- that I wanted to pack up all of our ornaments and the tree I never wanted and drop them on her doorstep. Instead, I kept it all shut away in the white cabinet and I shoved the anger down deep inside. As I let go of the ornaments, I know that I will be lifting away some of the anger triggered by these pieces of plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment