Finding Freedom From Fixtures

After recently taking a workshop with Marylee Fairbanks (http://maryleefairbanks.com/) I have decided to begin my own "24 Things" challenge (http://maryleefairbanks.com/24-things/). The rules are simple: each day for 24 days you let go of something that has been cluttering up your house, something that no longer serves you, objects that will be better suited at a yard sale, donation box, or in a trash barrel. During the 24 day release, one should only purchase necessities-- food, medical care, etc. All other material desires should be added to an ongoing list. If you are able to remember the items on your list at the end of the 24 days, then you are free to purchase them, otherwise they are likely to have been unimportant. According to Marylee, "The clutter in our house reflects the clutter in our hearts." Are we clinging to mementos of past relationships? Unwanted gifts that we were too polite to turn away? Clothes that haven't fit for years? Objects that no longer reflect who we are currently in this ever-changing body and mind of ours? Are the things we surround ourselves with keeping us rooted in the past, preventing us from blossoming into the future? In order to invite abundance into our lives, we must eliminate the unnecessary clutter that surrounds us.

Although Marylee recommends four cycles, corresponding to the four seasons, of 24 Things each year, the timing of her most recent workshop and the significance of this period in my own life could not have been better. I will be beginning my solitary 24 Things today, April 29th exactly one year after my (ex) husband told me he was moving out. In exactly 24 days I will turn 28 years old. I cannot think of a better way to mark the end of a year of transformation and to usher in another year of abundance, love, and gratitude for this life that constantly challenges and inspires me.

"One good thing to remember when clearing out is this: If you have an object that makes the past feel more important than the future then you should let it go. The past is gone. Your present is all that need be nourished." ~Marylee Fairbanks

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Day 31: Air Purifier

One would think that after my husband spent thirteen months in a war zone in the middle of the desert without running water, electricity, or any of the other amenities we take for granted that he would be accustomed to dust. When he returned home he was suddenly hyper-sensitive to the almost invisible particles. He wouldn't drink from a glass of water that had been left out too long because it was "too dusty."  The South in the summertime was not the place to be for avoiding airborne particles.

We bought a black car while we lived in Georgia. Throughout the summer, which lasted from March until October, my car would be covered in a thick film of yellow pollen that would cling to my fingers and clothes each time I reached for the car door.  The housing we lived in was probably built when the base first opened during World War I. He was convinced that mold was seeping out of our central air system and spent just about every waking moment blowing his nose. The sound of his nose being blown resembled a trumpet or an elephant.

In an attempt to eliminate the safari sounds, I purchased the small air purifier pictured above. We kept it running in the bedroom. The constant whir helped to block out the ringing in my ears that started a few months after I moved to Georgia and never stopped. The recycled air was also cooler, which kept my husband happy. It seemed to make a difference in the air quality, even if it was just psychological. 

The air purifier made the move back to Massachusetts, but has since just taken up space in the corner of the room where all the weights formerly reigned. It's time to purify my home of this unnecessary object.

No comments:

Post a Comment