Finding Freedom From Fixtures

After recently taking a workshop with Marylee Fairbanks (http://maryleefairbanks.com/) I have decided to begin my own "24 Things" challenge (http://maryleefairbanks.com/24-things/). The rules are simple: each day for 24 days you let go of something that has been cluttering up your house, something that no longer serves you, objects that will be better suited at a yard sale, donation box, or in a trash barrel. During the 24 day release, one should only purchase necessities-- food, medical care, etc. All other material desires should be added to an ongoing list. If you are able to remember the items on your list at the end of the 24 days, then you are free to purchase them, otherwise they are likely to have been unimportant. According to Marylee, "The clutter in our house reflects the clutter in our hearts." Are we clinging to mementos of past relationships? Unwanted gifts that we were too polite to turn away? Clothes that haven't fit for years? Objects that no longer reflect who we are currently in this ever-changing body and mind of ours? Are the things we surround ourselves with keeping us rooted in the past, preventing us from blossoming into the future? In order to invite abundance into our lives, we must eliminate the unnecessary clutter that surrounds us.

Although Marylee recommends four cycles, corresponding to the four seasons, of 24 Things each year, the timing of her most recent workshop and the significance of this period in my own life could not have been better. I will be beginning my solitary 24 Things today, April 29th exactly one year after my (ex) husband told me he was moving out. In exactly 24 days I will turn 28 years old. I cannot think of a better way to mark the end of a year of transformation and to usher in another year of abundance, love, and gratitude for this life that constantly challenges and inspires me.

"One good thing to remember when clearing out is this: If you have an object that makes the past feel more important than the future then you should let it go. The past is gone. Your present is all that need be nourished." ~Marylee Fairbanks

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Day 28: Picture Frame

From an early age I learned to hold onto clothes, toys, and books that I had outgrown. Yearly, my mother would tell my brother and I that we had to clean out the toy room-- our enclosed upstairs porch. I'd unearth toys that I hadn't played with all year and suddenly want to use them. Still, she'd pile them into black trash bags and I'd cry as we dragged them down the brown carpeted stairs to the front porch. To this day, every time I go to clean out my room and remove things from my parents house, my father warns, "Make sure you aren't throwing away anything you might want someday," and he tells the story of how years ago my mother asked him to clean out the attic and he threw away his uncle's letters home from World War II. He blames my mother and says he always regrets getting rid of them. It's no wonder I had trouble letting go-- who knows when I might need something in the future.

During one of our yearly cleanses, my mother was in a particularly defeated mood and kept complaining about all the "shit" my brother and I had. I was about six at the time and decided I would show my mother that I could clean up. I threw just about everything I owned in the giant black bag. Later that day my mother asked about the miniature plastic figures that I had and when I told her I'd put them in the trash she dragged my brother downstairs with her to frantically dig through the bag on the front lawn. I was told that I should hold on to them because "someday they'll be worth money." I thought that if these little one inch pieces of plastic with the chipped and faded paint could be worth money someday than anything could. Not only might I miss the items I was getting rid of, but they might be worth money someday. So began years of hording. My parents' attic is still filled with old stuffed animals and barbie dolls that I couldn't part with. I'm sure the plastic figures I tried to get rid of more than twenty years ago are still laying around somewhere also.

Sometimes my mother would find things in the attic and bring them down to my bedroom. Once, as a teenager, I said something about how the plastic painted eggs she'd left on my bureau had disrupted my obsessive compulsive order and she snapped, "Fine, I won't ever give you nice things any more." From then on I learned to accept her ancient offerings.

When I moved into my apartment in Massachusetts she came by with the frame pictured above. Oval shaped, dust covered, the pins that hold the back in place went missing years ago. Despite how I've tried to clean it, it still has a layer of grime and dust caked to it. "I thought you might like this," she said when she brought it to me.  "I don't think I'll be able to use it," I said. She suggested I use it for my wedding picture and made it clear she wouldn't be taking the frame back home with her. I kept it out of guilt. It's been collecting dust beneath a pile of boxes in my front entryway since she first brought it to me. I tried unsuccessfully to sell it at a yard sale and packed it with the other items that did not sell that I will be donating. Maybe it will end up in an antique shop somewhere, worth 25 cents someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment