Finding Freedom From Fixtures

After recently taking a workshop with Marylee Fairbanks (http://maryleefairbanks.com/) I have decided to begin my own "24 Things" challenge (http://maryleefairbanks.com/24-things/). The rules are simple: each day for 24 days you let go of something that has been cluttering up your house, something that no longer serves you, objects that will be better suited at a yard sale, donation box, or in a trash barrel. During the 24 day release, one should only purchase necessities-- food, medical care, etc. All other material desires should be added to an ongoing list. If you are able to remember the items on your list at the end of the 24 days, then you are free to purchase them, otherwise they are likely to have been unimportant. According to Marylee, "The clutter in our house reflects the clutter in our hearts." Are we clinging to mementos of past relationships? Unwanted gifts that we were too polite to turn away? Clothes that haven't fit for years? Objects that no longer reflect who we are currently in this ever-changing body and mind of ours? Are the things we surround ourselves with keeping us rooted in the past, preventing us from blossoming into the future? In order to invite abundance into our lives, we must eliminate the unnecessary clutter that surrounds us.

Although Marylee recommends four cycles, corresponding to the four seasons, of 24 Things each year, the timing of her most recent workshop and the significance of this period in my own life could not have been better. I will be beginning my solitary 24 Things today, April 29th exactly one year after my (ex) husband told me he was moving out. In exactly 24 days I will turn 28 years old. I cannot think of a better way to mark the end of a year of transformation and to usher in another year of abundance, love, and gratitude for this life that constantly challenges and inspires me.

"One good thing to remember when clearing out is this: If you have an object that makes the past feel more important than the future then you should let it go. The past is gone. Your present is all that need be nourished." ~Marylee Fairbanks

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Day 3: Vacuum

Immediately after getting married, I moved from Massachusetts, the place I'd called home for 21 years, to Georgia. I lived on a military base in the south western part of the state on the border with Alabama, miles away from Atlanta-- the only city that was even vaguely reminiscent of Boston. Our first night in our new home we slept on the hard white linoleum floor wrapped up in sleeping bags.  I cocooned myself in, hoping to prevent the roli polis and spiders that I'd seen crawling around from finding their way in.

I soon learned that bugs are an inexhaustible  presence in the South. Cockroaches sprinted across the floor, up the walls, under the couch. They fearlessly ran toward me, unphased by my attempts to thwart them with endless cans of Raid.  The Swiffer's sole purpose became the extermination of bugs. Spiders creeped over the sunken door jambs, brown recluses hid out in closets. In mid-summer grasshoppers found their way in through the dryer duct and taunted me by jumping feet from the floor as soon as I approached. In late summer roli polis came out of every crack in the base boards. Slow moving, tiny beetle-like bugs the size of carpenter ants, except round and fat, their only defense mechanism was to roll into a tight ball. Their life spans were short. I'd wake up in the morning and step out into the hallway to find dozens of them had dropped dead mid-stride over night. I'd clean them up daily with the vacuum pictured here.

We bought the smallest, cheapest vacuum we could find. It worked well for the first week before the small openings on the bottom became clogged with hair and bug carcasses. It slowly worked less and less, until eventually it just gave off heat and blew dust in my face as I pushed and pulled it mercilessly over the same spot on the carpet.

Determined to make it work, I pulled out a screwdriver and dissected it on the kitchen floor. I extracted endless mounds of hair and dust-- back then my hair reached to my waist and fell out everywhere. Despite the shopping bag of debris I'd discovered in this tiny vacuum, it still hardly worked when I turned it on again. Somehow, it suffered through the two years we lived in Georgia and even survived the move back to Massachusetts. We'd been back just a few months when I decided the scent of burning hair and the complete absence of suction meant it was time for a new vacuum. Despite the fact that it has been nearly four years since I replaced it, this "power stick" has been sitting in my front entryway, collecting dust since Hoover took over. I am thankful to have garnered the power to leave it with its memories on the curb.

No comments:

Post a Comment