Finding Freedom From Fixtures

After recently taking a workshop with Marylee Fairbanks (http://maryleefairbanks.com/) I have decided to begin my own "24 Things" challenge (http://maryleefairbanks.com/24-things/). The rules are simple: each day for 24 days you let go of something that has been cluttering up your house, something that no longer serves you, objects that will be better suited at a yard sale, donation box, or in a trash barrel. During the 24 day release, one should only purchase necessities-- food, medical care, etc. All other material desires should be added to an ongoing list. If you are able to remember the items on your list at the end of the 24 days, then you are free to purchase them, otherwise they are likely to have been unimportant. According to Marylee, "The clutter in our house reflects the clutter in our hearts." Are we clinging to mementos of past relationships? Unwanted gifts that we were too polite to turn away? Clothes that haven't fit for years? Objects that no longer reflect who we are currently in this ever-changing body and mind of ours? Are the things we surround ourselves with keeping us rooted in the past, preventing us from blossoming into the future? In order to invite abundance into our lives, we must eliminate the unnecessary clutter that surrounds us.

Although Marylee recommends four cycles, corresponding to the four seasons, of 24 Things each year, the timing of her most recent workshop and the significance of this period in my own life could not have been better. I will be beginning my solitary 24 Things today, April 29th exactly one year after my (ex) husband told me he was moving out. In exactly 24 days I will turn 28 years old. I cannot think of a better way to mark the end of a year of transformation and to usher in another year of abundance, love, and gratitude for this life that constantly challenges and inspires me.

"One good thing to remember when clearing out is this: If you have an object that makes the past feel more important than the future then you should let it go. The past is gone. Your present is all that need be nourished." ~Marylee Fairbanks

Monday, May 6, 2013

Day 8: Empty Glass Bear



Simple, small, empty, dust covered. This empty glass bear once held maple syrup, given to my ex by his mother for a Christmas present one year. The bear originally wore a knit hat that quickly become encrusted in syrup and had to be removed before the ants that frequent my kitchen found a new winter home. The syrup didn't last very long as my husband drowned stacks of pancakes I'd make most Sundays in the amber goo. When the last slippery, sticky drop dripped from his glass feet, I washed it out in hot water and set it on the top kitchen shelf. "Why are you keeping that?" my husband had asked. I don't remember if I had a legitimate answer or if I just fell back on "I don't know," but the bear became a fixture in my kitchen and, until today, still stood tall, almost out of reach, but still within view.  At the top of the unblocked white shelves set on metal prongs shoved into a blue-painted hole-covered wall, the bear watched over the rice cakes and tea boxes. I noticed him each time I reached for something from the shelves or stood by the single kitchen counter that extends just feet away. As I drop this into my recycling bin, let me be reminded that slim stature is no reason to hold onto something so clearly empty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment