Finding Freedom From Fixtures

After recently taking a workshop with Marylee Fairbanks (http://maryleefairbanks.com/) I have decided to begin my own "24 Things" challenge (http://maryleefairbanks.com/24-things/). The rules are simple: each day for 24 days you let go of something that has been cluttering up your house, something that no longer serves you, objects that will be better suited at a yard sale, donation box, or in a trash barrel. During the 24 day release, one should only purchase necessities-- food, medical care, etc. All other material desires should be added to an ongoing list. If you are able to remember the items on your list at the end of the 24 days, then you are free to purchase them, otherwise they are likely to have been unimportant. According to Marylee, "The clutter in our house reflects the clutter in our hearts." Are we clinging to mementos of past relationships? Unwanted gifts that we were too polite to turn away? Clothes that haven't fit for years? Objects that no longer reflect who we are currently in this ever-changing body and mind of ours? Are the things we surround ourselves with keeping us rooted in the past, preventing us from blossoming into the future? In order to invite abundance into our lives, we must eliminate the unnecessary clutter that surrounds us.

Although Marylee recommends four cycles, corresponding to the four seasons, of 24 Things each year, the timing of her most recent workshop and the significance of this period in my own life could not have been better. I will be beginning my solitary 24 Things today, April 29th exactly one year after my (ex) husband told me he was moving out. In exactly 24 days I will turn 28 years old. I cannot think of a better way to mark the end of a year of transformation and to usher in another year of abundance, love, and gratitude for this life that constantly challenges and inspires me.

"One good thing to remember when clearing out is this: If you have an object that makes the past feel more important than the future then you should let it go. The past is gone. Your present is all that need be nourished." ~Marylee Fairbanks

Friday, May 3, 2013

Day 5: Curtains

They muffle noise, add warmth, shield the sun, and bring comfort to a room. When I first moved in to my own home, I bought fabric and hand made curtains to add color to the white walls, floors, and ceiling that covered the rooms of military housing. When I returned to Massachusetts and moved into the first floor apartment of an old Victorian house, my custom made curtains looked like doll house drapes against the giant windows. I hastily bought the curtains pictured here to cover the curved windows.

I hung the dark blue dotted curtains in my kitchen, which has three windows. A small one above the sink and two mid-sized windows on one wall. One window opens up to my landlord's stairway to his second floor apartment. The glass is covered in a thick layer of dust from his side and through the haze one can make out the clutter of old paint cans, his recycling bin, tools, and trash. Discouraged, I bought opaque curtains to shut out his mess and consequently shielded the sun from the other window. My kitchen with its faded striped wallpaper, peeling up boxy linoleum, and winter drafts from the basement and outside door is my least favorite room in the house. A few weeks ago I went on vacation to California and ate each meal sitting on a deck overlooking the ocean. Determined to make my kitchen more liveable, I pulled down the dark drapes and replaced them with white patterned curtains that allow the sunlight to spill across my kitchen table and onto the floor.

I disliked the other curtains from the moment I removed them from the packaging and hung them in my bedroom. An odd green color with squiggles and fringe, they looked like something that belonged with white Christmas trees, and upholstered couches from the 70s. I though maybe if I let them hang around long enough I'd learn to like them. Three years later when my husband moved out my bedroom was the first room to be redecorated. I replaced the green curtains, bedspread, sheets, and rug with shades of red and bunched these curtains up in a bag in my closet. For day five I will donate them to a local Salvation Army and hope that they can provide warmth and comfort to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment